Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Seek My face

Before I left for YWAM, I felt that God was calling me to refocus and reprioritize my life. I’ve been so busy this summer and my focus has too often been on DOING things rather than on KNOWING Jesus and resting in His presence.

In the week before I left, I was reading the story of Mary and Martha in Luke 10. I was convicted of living a life like Martha where I was so busy doing and serving that I was neglecting to simply stop and sit at the feet of Jesus and learn from Him. In this story, Jesus says to her, “Martha, Martha, you are worried and bothered about so many things; but only one thing is necessary, for Mary has chosen the good part, which shall not be taken away from her." (Luke 10:41-42). I was reminded that my life should be about knowing Jesus and going deeper with Him rather than busying myself and neglecting relationship with Christ.

God has continued to speak to me about rest and refocusing. A few days ago, I was chilling out in Hawaii and reading my Bible and God brought a verse to mind. It was Psalm 27:8, which says:

When You said, "Seek My face," my heart said to You,

"Your face, O Lord, I shall seek.

I read through the rest of Psalm 27 and there were a few other verses that also stood out to me:

One thing I have asked from the Lord, that I shall seek;

That I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life,

To behold the beauty of the Lord

And to meditate in His temple. (v.4)

Wait for the Lord;

Be strong and let your heart take courage;

Yes, wait for the Lord. (v. 14)

God has been calling me to seek His face. Not just now. But for the rest of my life. He has been pressing this idea and longing into me. My desire is to live a life of fixing my eyes on Jesus (Heb. 12:1-3). I want to sit at His feet and learn from Him and worship and adore Him. I want to seek Him singlemindedly, with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength (Luke 10:27).

There are so many more verses that I could quote or things that I could say, but I just wanted to share a little bit of what God has been laying on my heart and showing me.


* My favourite Bible story is in 2 Chronicles 20 and I think it’s a beautiful example of what can happen as we choose to focus on God and look to Him. I love King Jehoshaphat’s response to an impossible situation – recognizing his powerlessness, fixing his eyes on God, and directing others to also look to God (v.12-13). Take a look at this story if you are interested.

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE that story about Jehosaphat too! So encouraging and exciting. I'm glad to hear you're having some sweet down time in the midst of the excitement over there.

    Love ya Katie!

    Trilby

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like to read about what God is doing in your life! I am so proud of you Kat!! I was reading the story of Mary and Martha in Luke 10 last week!

    I love you Kat!!
    Rach

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good stuff Katie!

    I'm sort of jealous of your fruitful downtime. Something I need to be working on as well; thanks for the reminder!

    Like everyone else, I love you too!

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie...I also love the truths seen in the story of Jehosaphat. So rich in how our response and focus ought to be in the impossible. So wonderful to hear of your deep desire for Jesus. Keep looking only unto Him!

    Love Genevieve

    ReplyDelete