Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Nothing but the blood of Jesus

What can wash away my sin?


Nothing but the blood of Jesus;


What can make me whole again?


Nothing but the blood of Jesus.

Oh! precious is the flow


That makes me white as snow;


No other fount I know,


Nothing but the blood of Jesus.

This is one of my favourite songs and I was reminded of it again this past week. We’ve been reading a book called “Celebration of Discipline” by Richard Foster. The first chapter was on Meditation so I’ve been trying to put this into practice each morning. I’ve been meditating on the same passage for four days and allowing God to teach me through His word. The story that I’ve been looking at is that of the woman who wet Jesus’ feet with her hair, washed them with her tears, and anointed them with perfume (Luke 7:36-50). Each day God has been revealing His truth to me and highlighting different aspects of the story.

I’m not going to tell you everything that I’ve been learning from this story, but I will share a few things. I love how this woman is so passionate and unashamed in her worship. Her actions show single-minded, whole-hearted devotion. She is completely engaged in what she is doing as she washes the feet of Jesus. Her desire is to serve and honour Him.

She knows that she is unworthy, that she is a sinner. But Jesus tells this woman, “Your sins have been forgiven.” This statement is so powerful. Jesus forgives our sins. This is a big deal!

My sins are forgiven. There is nothing I can do but accept this incredible forgiveness and grace. But too often I find it difficult to accept it. Although I know in my head that I’m forgiven, at times I still dwell in the feelings of shame and guilt because of sin in my life.

I'm so proud and independent. It's difficult to believe that God's love and grace are unconditional, that we really don't have to do anything, that we can't do anything but believe. We are redeemed by Jesus, His blood cleanses us and washes away our sin. He makes us whole and complete. His grace is sufficient.

Jesus tells her to "Go in peace." What an amazing gift - peace! We are reconciled to God in Christ. He is our peace (Eph. 2:11-22). And as we rest in His grace and forgiveness, we experience this amazing peace.

This is a bit of what I've been learning. I also wanted to add some prayer requests:

- Pray that I will be open to whatever God wants to do in my life during DTS and that my focus will be completely on Him

- Pray for God's guidance in choosing an outreach location (options are Haiti, Togo, Cambodia, and Thailand)

- Pray that God will provide for the rest of the costs for my outreach - contact me if you are interested in supporting me.

- Pray for healing for my foot. I hurt it before I left and it's been feeling a bit better but is still sore.

As you pray, please email me if there is anything that God puts on your heart that you want to share with me. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment