Wednesday, October 20, 2010

I'm going to Thailand!

When I first arrived here in Hawaii for YWAM, I thought that I would be going to Cambodia. This country has been on my heart for the past few years. I had learned about the poverty and child trafficking that is so prevalent in Cambodia and was really hoping to one day go there.

But God had a different plan in mind for me (His plans are always better J)! A few days after I got here, we were having a time of worship with the whole YWAM base. As I was worshipping, God suddenly brought a picture of Thailand to my mind. I was confused and dismissed it at first. But over that week and the following week, each time that I was worshipping, God brought the same picture to mind. And I couldn’t get Thailand off of my mind! I had to go there!

I also found out that the outreach in this country is going to be focused on sex trafficking. This is exactly what God has placed on my heart – to work with women and children in the sex trade.

Today we found out our outreach locations and I am going to Thailand! I am on a team of eight girls – my teammates are Allysha, Marissa, Abbie, Ivy, Gulya, Marisa, and Catherine, and our leader is Jackie. These ladies are amazing and I feel so blessed to be on the same team as them! I know that we are going to grow so close together during our time in Thailand.

We don’t have all of the details together for our trip yet but we have a rough idea of what we will be doing. First, we will be going to northern Thailand to see where many of these women have come from so that we can understand their background and life situations. After that, we will mainly be serving in Bangkok. We will be working with women who have come out of the sex trade as well as women who are still working in the sex trade. We will be partnering with various organizations and churches - so don’t worry, we will be safe!

I know this is going to be an intense trip but I am so excited about what God is going to do! Today our speaker was talking about this verse:

“And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.” (Matthew 16:18)

We are the church and God has called us to bring light into dark places. The gates of hell cannot prevail against us! We are not called to live in a defensive posture – we are called to go to the places where evil is setting up its gates and to take them down. There are gates of hell in Thailand but I believe that these can be taken down by the love and power of Jesus Christ! God’s love for the nation of Thailand and for those who are enslaved in the sex trade is so incredible!

I will keep you updated as things come together! Also, I am still in need of money for my outreach so please contact me if you are interested in supporting me. Thank you!

Please also pray for me and my team as we formulate plans and come up with creative ideas for our outreach. Pray for unity and love as we grow closer together. And pray for Thailand!!!

Thank you – love you!

2 comments:

  1. This is so amazing Katie! Isn't it crazy how God chooses to work? Just when you think that you know what's going on, God shows you His plans. Love it. I'll be praying for you in Thailand. Who knows, maybe you can still go to Cambodia. You'll already be in the area... :) MANY BLESSINGS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet!! I am so pumped that God is leading you to such an incredible country, and I can't wait to talk about it with you. We are defs praying for you. The gates of hell are definitely present in Thailand, but God is there, and I know that He will move powerfully through you and your team.

    ReplyDelete