Sunday, February 20, 2011

itchy

Two weeks ago we got lice. There was only one lice ever found in my hair, but a few of my teammates’ heads’ were more infested than mine. It was quite a process to wash all of our sheets, pillow cases, sleeping bags, and some clothes. Since the washing machine doesn’t have hot water, we had to boil water and then soak everything in efforts to stop the lice from spreading. As you might have guessed, this takes a long time. On top of all this, we all had to wash our hair with lice shampoo and then search each other’s heads for lice. Oh yeah, and then we had bar ministry that night. It was definitely a full day for us but God gave us the grace to make it through and still love each other. It was quite the experience but I like to think we bonded more through our times of washing, combing, an picking out lice and lice eggs from each other’s hair. (Check out Marisa's blog here for a funny account of our lice experience :)

Yes, that's a picture of a lice.

Helping each other get rid of lice (notice the head lamp - the lighting in our room isn't great).

Now the lice is gone. Thank you, Jesus! But in the past few days both me and Allysha have discovered that we have ringworm. What I originally thought was a bug bite has turned out to be a case of ringworm on my arm. It is very itchy at times but there is no way that I’m scratching it. I google-imaged ringworm and am now traumatized (I don’t recommend doing that…). I really don’t want it to spread. I have been putting some cream on it but have been researching how to get rid of it in other ways. Apparently nail polish works? I don’t know but I’m trying it out. I’ll let you know how it goes…

We don't have any clear nailpolish so I'm using Marisa's green nailpolish - thanks roomie!

Sorry if this post grosses you out. This is my life in Thailand. Just keeping it real...

Note: Ringworm is not an actual worm. It is a fungus. I do not have worms.

5 comments:

  1. Haha "it's a fungus" - great debate over the facts of ringworm. and we need to use some of cath's blue polish to make a smiley face on your green dot - let's name it jasper!... Oh My goodness! the kids who live below in the house across the street are yelling into a fan! lol I love thailand! <3 always

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had lice too! its crazy cause my roommate didn't get it even though I had it unknowingly for 3 weeks! It was bad. so I understand washing the sheets and clothes thing. and boiling the water! Good times hey?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha... I love "Note: Ringworm is not an actual worm..."

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL Katie you are the best! I know why you wrote that "Ringworm is not an actual worm.It's a fungus" I promise I won't bug you about having worms :) Love you Kat! Thanks for keeping it real! I am gonna google ringworm now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Katie, I got ringworm (on my chin!) when I was in Fresno on an STM half a lifetime ago. I guess I was too intensely involved with the inner-city kids we were playing with everyday. Yes, you shouldn't scratch it or touch it. Eventually, when I got back to Vancouver, I got an anti-fungal cream from my doctor. But it takes a long time to get rid of it.

    ReplyDelete