Friday, February 4, 2011

"katie needs a hair cut"

I never expected that my hair could be used as a ministry tool. But in the past two days, God has used my hair to open up doors to connect with girls in the bars and get to know them more.

I was first volunteered to get a hair cut by my teammate Marissa. When she discovered that one of the women in a bar we’ve been visiting can cut hair, she immediately told her…”Katie needs a hair cut! You can cut her hair!” It’s true. I do need a hair cut. And since I’m not super attached to my hair and this seemed like a great opportunity to get to know a woman outside of the bar environment, I agreed.

Although our original appointment with her fell through, it ended up working out to meet up with her on Thursday afternoon. We met her at the outside bar where she works and she cut my hair right there. And she did a great job! No random bald spots and my bangs haven’t been reduced to just an inch long. Thank you, Jesus! And it was a great way to talk with her and encourage her in her skills.

Getting my hair cut at the bar

I thought that would be the end of my hair ministry. But last night, just one day after my hair cut, we were chatting with some ladies at a bar we’ve just gone to once before. (I mentioned them in my last post – they are the ones who like that we dress differently than the tourists.) They have been very friendly and when I complimented one of them on the curls in her hair, she showed me the curling iron that she had right behind the bar. And she offered to curl my hair. So, of course, I agreed. She grabbed a chair for me, I went behind the bar, and she started curling my hair! They took turns curling my hair. And at the same time, Abbie and Marissa played pool and talked with them.

Getting my hair curled by a friend at another bar

Marissa playing pool with our other friend at the bar

Me with my hair all cut and curled!

We invited them to go out for lunch on Sunday and they seemed really excited. Pray that it will all work out and that they will really open up to us. They are both from Isaan, a poor region of Thailand that many of the women that work in the bars come from. One of them has two sons back there that her mother takes care of and she sends money back to them.

We are so grateful to God for how He opens up doors in unexpected ways! Pray that we will continue to have many opportunities and divine appointments and that these women will have open hearts to receive all that God has for them.

1 comment:

  1. This is awesome!! :) Looks good! What great opportunities! Love you, Katie

    ReplyDelete