Saturday, February 19, 2011

Daow

When we first met Daow*, she was very forward and flashy. She loves to dress up and always looks well put together. Hair perfectly straightened. Coloured contacts in. Fake eyelashes on. Make-up expertly applied. Decked out in a fancy dress and high heels.

However, there is far more to Daow than her appearance (although most of the foreigners that buy her for the night wouldn’t bother to look beyond that). Daow has hopes and dreams for her life and doesn’t want to work in the bar forever. She doesn’t enjoy having to get drunk all the time and leaving for the night with customers. She dreams of opening up a salon in Bangkok and having a restaurant with her father.

But Daow has been hurt a lot by different people throughout her life. Her mother left her family when Daow was a teenager and she hasn’t seen her in years. And Daow used to have a boyfriend that she lived with in Bangkok...but he was abusive and caused her a lot of pain. Now she is thankful that she doesn’t have a boyfriend or children because of her past experiences.

Daow has become a good friend of mine. Last week, she painted my nails as I sipped my pineapple juice at her bar. And earlier this week, I painted her nails (red on Valentines Day to match her flashy red dress).

When I visited her bar on Wednesday, Daow ran to a street vendor nearby and bought food for us to share. As we ate our spicy seafood dish (so good!), we chatted and she gave me some presents because I’m leaving soon. She gave me a little mirror and a ring that she often wears. To be completely honest, the mirror is kind of strange-looking and the ring isn’t exactly my usual style, but I will always treasure these gifts because they were given to me by Daow.

Daow shared with me about how she appreciated our friendship. She told me, “Most foreign women don’t talk to me. They don’t talk to girls who work in the bars. But you, you talk to me. You call me on the phone, you are my friend. You have a good heart.”

It was encouraging to hear her voice her feelings and continue opening up to me. Our conversations have made a difference in her life. She has felt cared for and loved. She has been listened to and treated like someone who has great worth.

Pray for Daow – pray that she will hold on to her hopes and dreams. I’ve talked to her a bit about SHE so pray that Daow will think about this option more and will have the strength to leave the bar. Pray that she will come to know Jesus and His amazing love for her.

* Name has been changed

1 comment:

  1. Wow what a great story! I am glad you found someone who could get close to and love. That is special. I will pray for her. And for you!

    ReplyDelete